Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones Ether Jones is offline

Default spot weed killer?

z wrote:
wrote:
tenplay wrote:
I would like to zap weeds growing in the lawn and garden without harming
the grass and plants growing around the weeds. What is the best way to
do it? I saw something called a Weed Stick online, where you supposedly
walk around injecting any kind of concentrated weed killer directly on
the weed. Anyone try it? Would WD40 or gasoline work using a direct
applicator? It sounds like a lot of folks use Roundup, but I find that
it works too slow. It seems to take a couple of days for the leaves to
begin turning brown. Thanks for any suggestions.

This works pretty well, especially after it's broken in and you wear
the paint off the tines:

http://www.hound-dog.com/weed_hound.htm

I think it's $20 at the Orange Borg.

If you make a noticeable number of holes, scatter some grass seed so
new grass crowds out the weeds. The best defense against weeds is a
healthy lawn.

Amen to this item.

The efficacy of this type of tool is a strong function of the soil
type. The tool is not usable in heavy clay soil in dry weather. Voice
of experience.