Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default spot weed killer?

wrote:
tenplay wrote:
I would like to zap weeds growing in the lawn and garden without harming
the grass and plants growing around the weeds. What is the best way to
do it? I saw something called a Weed Stick online, where you supposedly
walk around injecting any kind of concentrated weed killer directly on
the weed. Anyone try it? Would WD40 or gasoline work using a direct
applicator? It sounds like a lot of folks use Roundup, but I find that
it works too slow. It seems to take a couple of days for the leaves to
begin turning brown. Thanks for any suggestions.

This works pretty well, especially after it's broken in and you wear
the paint off the tines:

http://www.hound-dog.com/weed_hound.htm

I think it's $20 at the Orange Borg.

If you make a noticeable number of holes, scatter some grass seed so
new grass crowds out the weeds. The best defense against weeds is a
healthy lawn.

Amen to this item. I tote it around when I mow, because that's when I
notice the dandylions. This is as easy to use as the weed stick
herbicide items, because you don't have to bend over, you just poke the
weed with it in the same way. The holes generally grow over pretty
quick, it's kind of like aerating the lawn. I collect the yanked up
weeds and compost them along with the little plug of dirt holding the
roots.
On the other hand, this doesn't work so well for something like crab
grass or creeping weeds. For those I'm down on my knees to the lawn god.