Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Adding exterior electrical outlet

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 01:27:56 GMT, "Mook Johnson"
wrote:

I'd like to add an exterior outlet for some landscape lighting.

Is it against code to "T" off of an existing electrical outlet that is
already on a GCFI breaker and put a surface mount exterior box on the
outside of the home?

All I'd have to do is drill a hole through the siding and for the wire to
pass then seal it up behind the box with silicone. The outside box will
have a rain shield and the flap type doors.

The circuit that the outside lights would be on is lightly used. (Clock
radio and some lamps)

I just installed outside receptacles downstream from the single
receptacle (GFCI protected) requirred in an unfinished basement, and
it sounds like you are doing the same.

Not there, so not a how-to, but this is what I would make sure is
done:

Some things:
1. Makesure you have an exterior box and an 'in-use' cover. Which
sounds like your 'rain shield'.

2. Ensure the circuit is GFCI protected, by using a hand held tester.

3. I like adding circuits, rather than tapping into existing ones, so
I would try and see if I can add a circuit.

Good luck, fill us in on what you did, maybe some photos too.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info