Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack Werehatrack is offline

Default silicone adhesive as electrical insulation?

On 10 Oct 2006 10:33:21 -0700, wrote:

sci.electronics.repair, rec.bicycles.tech

Leads from the cateye enduro's cyclocomputer body snapped off during
an accident.

I tried soldering the new length of magnet pickup wires following the
epoxy? block covering the pickup's connection pins molded into the
computer's bar mount AND then Gooping the wire's solder connections
to the bar mount at the epoxy block

Goop is silicone adhesive -

Wrong. Goop is a polypropylene/solvent adhesive.

Question is does the goop [non]silicone provide electrical insulation at
this low voltage flow?

Yes, nicely.

The computer stopped recording data after 3-4 miles.

Look for solder joint failure or a subsequent wire failure elsewhere.

If the Goop is a no go what adhesive is durable and adequate
insulation?

There is a brush-on electrical insulation coating available for this
exact purpose. I've obtained it at Home Depot and Ace Hardware.

What are cateye bodies made of

I don't know; you would have to ask them. I'd expect it to be a
filled resin of some sort, but there are many candidates with varying
charcteristics.

and what adhesive works best
there?

That will be entirely dependent upon the resin involved.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.