Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Elmers Ultimate Glue or Gorilla Glue - TIA

Happiness is wrote:
I have been using Elmers Ultimate glue on a project and I have found it expands and
leaves nasty glue marks on the outside of the finish project that I have been sanding off.

In very tight corners it is most nearly impossible to sand, especially across the grain.

With the old Elmers wood glue or white glue. I used to wipe it down with water and that would
remove most, if not all of the glue so sanding would not be a problem and the wood would take
a nice stain.

Is there a way one can prevent or easily remove the extra residue of Ultimate glue or gorilla glue
before it dries so I don't have the problems of sanding in tight corners?

Does anyone have any special tricks up their proverbial sleeves?

Throw the cr^h^h stuff out.

For what specific purpose/need are you using a urethane glue, anyway?
It's only real advantage is if you _must_ have a fully waterproof (not
water-resistant) glue, otherwise yellow glues are as strong as or
stronger than the wood itself (as is demonstrated that edge joints will
hold and the material break rather than the joint itself). Besides the
foaming and difficult cleanup, the open and clamping time for these is
much longer than for yellow glues which slows down progress. So,
unless there's a real purpose not otherwise served, I recomend going
back to a regular wood glue. If you need the water resistance, look
into Type II or Type III water solubles.