Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking
Wayne McDermott Wayne McDermott is offline

Default How to progress from zero knowledge to cabinet making

I am a complete newcomer to woodworking other than stuff done in high
school over 20 years ago. When I had a read I was an electronics
technician and have a current hobby of buying old wood console radios
from the 30s and 40s and repairing them. The electrics are easy but many
of the cabinets were actually made of quite cheap and nasty mdf. I would
like to make new ones but do not have the skill at this stage.

So what should I start with? Would box making be a good beginning? Can
anyone recommend something like a set of projects to get me to a skill
level that would let me attempt a full cabinet?

I have a spacious workshop and a couple of power tools (router and mitre
saw) to begin with. I haven't even used the router yet as I'm not really
sure what it does for me.

Any advise, pointers etc greatly appreciated. I live in Brisbane
Queensland and have been looking for woodworking clubs but haven't found
anything to date.

Kind Regards,

Wayne McDermott