Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Ashby Peter Ashby is offline

Default NTL TV Dilemma

Paul Andrews wrote:

"Peter Ashby" wrote in message
. ruk...
Paul Andrews wrote:
When we moved into the house, the tv reception looked quite good. I
discovered the ariel was boosted. Later we went with NTL. On a boring old
set top ariel reception is pretty poor. The TV in the kitchen has very
dodgy
reception. I could go for a new ariel and boost that but I'm wary of
going
to a lot of expense and hassle to find freeview just isn't doing it for
us.
Maybe I need to ask the neighbours!

You should be able to feed the old arial into the back of your NTL box.
Ours feeds into our Telewest box and works just fine, except the pigeons
roosting in the arial have loosened the plate at right angles and in a
strong wind there are some artefacts on the analogue channels, and I
don't much like heights (its on the chimney, two stories plus the attic
up).

The amplifier was in the living room. Some of the bedrooms had TV cables
running into them from the loft. The didn't seem to really work well. On
investigation I found the ariel fed a splitter to which these other cables
were connected. It looked as though the splitter should be powered, but it
wasn't. I've disconnected the splitter and just have a single feed from the
ariel into one room.

Maybe I should check out a booster/splitter for the loft, though I wouldn't
want it bursting into flames..

Oh the joys of taking over a house replete with yesterday's technology.
We have a cable that obviously used to connect a Sky dish that runs from
the back of the house, over the roof and down to the front corner of the
lounge. It bangs in some high winds. One day I might get around to
removing it...

Peter