Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default RAS blade wobble

DCH wrote:
Greetings all...

I found an older Craftsman (1960's) radial arm saw a few days ago, for 40$
looked fine, cleaned up real nice, leveled the table, added a new fence, it
runs fine until you cut with it, once the blade gets into the cut it seems
to wobble, making a kerf much wider than it should, the saw was made for a
9" blade but the guy had a 8" blade on it...I thought that might be an
issue, but thought I would see if anyone else has seen this before and what
the possible causes and/or cures that are out there....

Thanks for any help...

DCH

A smaller blade isn't going to make it wobble, but
that blade may be warped or it may warp during
cutting. So, try another blade before you do
anything.

It could be too much end play, check to see if the
blade or shaft can be moved left to right. If
it can, adding a brass washer may solve the
problem, but you will need to buy sheet brass
(check hobby stores for a package of several
sheets with different thickness) and make your own
washers. You want to get end play down to about
0.001 inch.