Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default Thanks to the group.

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 10:29:13 -0700, Staffbull wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
Owain wrote:

Getting a history of installations that can be inspected for a Part Pee
certification guild seems to be the hard bit for someone starting up.

I suppose you could pay the building notice fees either at your cost, or
at least from your profits in order to carry out the work at no
additional cost to the client. While not ideal it could simply be
considered another startup cost.

--
Cheers,

John.

At £60 odd a pop not too bad really, and I suppose it would be
deductable :-)

As an aside, the BCO does not require full testing, he was happy just
to come back on completion with his plug tester and go around the
sockets :-). I would like to test the disconnection times myself though
just for peace of mind. Is the kit available reasonably priced to do
this? I wouldn't have thought so.

By the book you are meant to have formally calibrated test equipment. I
think you'll find that you can get kit that will do all the things you
need it to for around the £400 quid mark. You need a continuity tester
that tests to 0.01 Ohm most multi meters wont do this. You need a 500V
insulation tester. You need a Loop Impedance/PSC tester and you need an
RCD tester. You can get all these in the same box for around £400.

you are supposed to get them recalibrated or rather recertified every
year, um yeah right.

You don't usually measure MCB or fuse disconnection times directly.
Instead you measuring that the earth loop impedance is low
enough that it would trip the protection quickly enough.