Posted to uk.d-i-y
Staffbull Staffbull is offline

Default Thanks to the group.

Owain wrote:
Staffbull wrote:
Out of curiosity, how do you go about becoming an electrician? I take
it you would have to be employed by someone to get vocational training
and that you couldn't just become self employed like a plumber for
example.

Whyever not?

IMHO it's much easier to become an electrician as the manual skills are
much less, at least for small domestic work; industrial with MI, SWA and
conduit/trunking takes more practice to do a neat job.

You can get the textbook qualifications (16th Edition, Inspection and
Test) quite quickly if you can find a college (or the IEE) doing them as
full-time courses; most colleges do them on evening or day release over
a year fpr youngsters at the "this is how you strip a wire" stage.

Getting a history of installations that can be inspected for a Part Pee
certification guild seems to be the hard bit for someone starting up.

Owain

Cheers, I'm might look into it as I enjoyed doing it quite a lot !! :-)
all my experience is in Invitro medical devices as a Biotech Engineer,
so being made redundant has not left me many options as I do not want
to relocate. Plenty of well paid jobs in the industry but none based in
North Wales. I wouldn't mind doing domestic installs and according to
the BCO there is a severe shortage of electricians and plumbers in the
area. I wouldn't expect to earn what I was earning but a living would
suffice :-)