Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Rip fence not square with table

On 8 Oct 2006 18:48:58 -0700, wrote:

The sides of the rip fence of my Delta TS350 aren't perfectly
perpendicular to the table. Is there anything I can do about this?
There are no adjustment bolts, as the thing is welded together. Is it
reasonable to complain to Delta when the saw only cost $400?

First off, is it out of kilter in reference to the table or the blade?
If it's parallel to the blade, you've got little to complain about.

Also, my first TS was a Delta TS200, (one step down) and there was
just enough play in it to align the sucker a little manually before
clamping. It's a PITA, but if you're patient and measure from the
front and the back of the blade to the fence each time you move it,
it's servicable. I'd hope the TS300 is at least a little better, but
it's still part of the "Shopmaster" line, and the quality on that
whole line leaves a lot to be desired. On the bright side, Delta
still has a good enough reputation (increasingly undeserved as it may
be) that I was able to sell the TS200 for 75% of the list price after
two years of use in about 15 minutes- took it to a job site, and guys
were all but fighting over who got to buy it. So if you don't like it
and have another $200 or so, I'd sell or return it, and move up to the
low end of the industrial line- the difference is like night and day.

Far as complaining to Delta goes, have at it. I don't know if they
would care, but it can't hurt anything. If it was my $400, I'd
consider that enough $$$ spent to have earned the right to at least
grumble a little at someone if the product wasn't up to par- it's not
like they gave it to you for nothing at that price.