Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G. Greg G. is offline

Default Review Update: Delta 16" VS Lathe - PM/Jet VFD Info (long)

Prometheus said:

Greg G. wrote:
I'm going to be buried with my collection of Chinese pot metal, a
testament to the changing times. Ahem, indeed.

I think one of these days, I'm just going to get fed up and start
making my own tools. A little engine lathe, a decent welder and some
negotiation for a little personal time on the equipment at work might
add up to a winning combination. Still have to buy the motors and
switches, but that seems like a minor problem at best- I'm continually
surprised that no one (that I know of) has started a little tool
factory in their garage to cater to discerning woodworkers yet.
Seems like an untapped market that gets a little bigger every year as
overall tool quality declines- though that may be just wishful
thinking.

Sounds like the classic American dream, but current market conditions
would appear to make that problematic at best. Never worked up a
prospectus on such a thing, as I have neither the engineering talent
nor the funds for such an undertaking, but it would be an interesting
adventure. In today's mass produced, imported 50 cent an hour,
blister-packed culture, it would be difficult to compete in an already
competitive (and limited) market without some real innovation, quality
control, and marketing. But hey, some of those fancy planes they're
selling today are pretty high dollar.

Casting or forging steel and iron would be especially difficult in the
garage. But hey, they did it in Israel and Palestine in 1300 BC...
And that's probably the quality we're getting in our tools now. ;-)

And yes, I too wish for the space and bucks for some metalworking
equipment. Perhaps with winnings from the lottery I don't play.
But guess where a lot of that machinery comes from these days...

Greg G.