Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
DGG DGG is offline

Default Review Update: Delta 16" VS Lathe - PM/Jet VFD Info (long)

R. Pierce Butler said:

So who makes the VFD for Delta/Jet et. al.?

As mentioned WAAYY up this thread, it is Delta Electronics of Taiwan.
No relation to Delta WW. I thought perhaps they were labeling their
own until the need revealed that it was an independant Asian company.

An industrial user relates his experience:
---------
I have a lot of experience with Delta drives.

We have a lab set-up where we did the Pepsi challenge with Delta
versus other drives. (The tester is a NEMA 4 cabinet with heaters and
a variac to raise the line voltage to over 500 vac to simulate NA
utility conditions. Externally it has a bonitron unit for braking,
marathon blackmax motors, and opposing drives which have torque
limiting to provide loads. It's a really interesting set-up needless
to say.)

We ran these drives at ~150*F at 520 vac for over a month. We ran them
loaded with an 5 sec accel and decel time. All the other drives
failed, these ones, we couldn't get to trip or fail.

It was a test to see how well they were made. The research that I
found, was that Delta is one of the biggest power supply mfg. in Asia.
We felt that if they make great power supplies then their drives would
be made just as well.

Inexpensive yes, Cheap no.

The problem with most Asian drives is that they are voltage intolerant
on the high end. In Japan for instance, the micro-drives are designed
for a 400 volt system. When they go to get UL listed, they have to
drop there high end to 460 instead of 480 to meet the requirements.
They can still be used with great success if the proper line reactor
or bucking transformer is used to stay under 460 +/- 10%.

The Delta's don't have this problem.

I'm not a salesman or rep...I have no real brand loyalty per say. Are
there drives out there that can do a better job with more bells and
whistles, sure. But I happen to agree with dpc. If they work for you,
then use them.

IMHO,
Carl
---------