Tony

Default New Leather Laminate Belt Arrived

You don't say what belt thickness you got, but some of your S/B cone pulleys
are smaller that 3.3". Try getting the all synthetic material. No advantage
to leather other than nostalgia. Also, S/B 10L's can take a little wider
belt. I use 1 3/16" . The 1" belting is for 9" machines.

Tony

"Artemia Salina" wrote in message
news
So last weekend I tried to repair the nylon/leather laminate belt on my
SB Heavy 10" using some clipper lacing I had laying around. This time,
rather than having the lacing simply pull out of the belt, the belt
itself ripped along the line where the clipper staples were pressed in.

So I ordered a new belt and Alligator lacing (http://www.flexco.com)
from McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com). The belt is their high-
end leather/nylon/leather laminate material, 6' long by 1" wide. This
stuff is quite a bit thicker and stiffer than the old belt, though it
is claimed to work on pulleys of 3.3" or larger.

The length of material is longer than I need so I'll have to cut it,
and applying the lacing will "damage" the material anyway, so if the
belt is too thick/stiff for use on my lathe (1 1/2 hp motor) I'll have
to eat the $37 I paid for it and buy another thinner/more flexible
plain leather belt.

Has anyone else used this material on machines with comparably sized
pulleys as found on a Heavy 10? Looks good and strong, though.

--
"There cannot possibly be a god in heaven watching all of this calmly."
-- Revi Shankar

News==----

Newsgroups

=---