Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G. Greg G. is offline

Default Review Update: Delta 16" VS Lathe - PM/Jet VFD Info (long)

Prometheus said:

Heh. Reading through this thread has made me truly appreciate my
second-hand reeve's drive Delta (even has a Made in USA tag). Had a
loose bolt on it once, but that was the extent of the trouble, and the
sucker is over twenty years old. No special tools or computers
required- a welcome change from the *ahem* real world.

Spent months a couple of years ago looking for an older Unisaw.
Week after week I read gloats from guys who found 4-8 year old
Unisaws, complete with accessories, for $1200 - and less. Pennsylvania
in particular seems to have been lucrative for some.

Never came up with anything used here, however, and the local "used"
dealer wanted WAY too much for my tastes. So I bought new stuff.
Can't explain why, but people around here don't seem to have much
interest in anything done with their own two hands. Mostly corporate
fuel-screw types. Most of the "old-hands" either moved away or died
after I moved to Florida. And they apparently took their old US made
equipment with them.

I'm going to be buried with my collection of Chinese pot metal, a
testament to the changing times. Ahem, indeed.

Greg G.