Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
DGG DGG is offline

Default Review Update: Delta 16" VS Lathe - PM/Jet VFD Info (long)

The Visitor said:

Could that (feedback) be the real problem I had with my controller?

I had to extend the deceleration time so it would work properly.
Otherwise it would trip off and the lathe would coast to a stop rather
than elecytrically brake. The error signal I got was somthing like "line
voltage problem" and when I asked at delta they said I have a main power
problem. Somewhere, I think the book, gave me the idea to adjust the
de-acceleration pot. It never happens with slightly less electric
braking. It is extended maybe 3 or 4 seconds.

Your controller sounds like the old Baldor unit. And from what I
understand, many had problems with it going into FAULT mode a lot.

The Delta.tw unit is totally digital and contains no potentiometers.
The accel/decel rates are set by writing to EEPROM registers through
an RS485 port. There are two groups of registers for fast and slow,
selectable by switch. However, mine is already set to slow.

But the problem is that it WON'T shut off the motor. I'd prefer a
coast down condition over a won't stop running situation any day.

nonsensical ramblings...
I do note that they have the Braking Resistor Threshold set at 380v
but the Over Volt Stall Threshold set to 370v. Normally the OVST
would be set a little higher than the BRT. The AVR is turned off
during decel as well. All three of these are potential suspects.

I'm guessing that if the BRT were set to 370 and the OVST were set to
380, all would be good in the universe as concerns the failure to
shutdown motor drive.

FWIW