Posted to alt.home.repair
Tazz Tazz is offline

Default Wall Dimmer Switch Anomaly?

I may have missed it but where were the voltage readings taken? Just
for curious sake.

Hot to neutral or ground?
Hot to switch leg in the switch box?
Switch leg to neutral or ground?

If I am not mistaken:
If you take a switch out of the wall and replace it with a dimmer. You
may very well get a voltage reading of 50v, reading from the hot to
the switch leg with the dimmer UNINSTALLED and the load still
connected to the switchleg
If the switch leg has the load tied into it your meter will definetly
will see a differnce in potential.

Just curious.

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 20:07:02 -0700, "CWLee"
wrote:

"RickR" wrote

How about a make and model on these guys.

The original boxes have been trashed, but here is what I
find on the switches themselves:

Leviton
6842
Dimmer

(It is possible that the number is 8842; very small print)

120 VAC
60 HZ
Incandescent use only.

These were purchased from a local Home Depot on 5.30.06, and
the ID info shown on the receipt, which may also be the UPC
code, is:

07847769639 CS120 Ivory

Best regards,

Chuck Lee.

=============================

RickR

CWLee wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote

Where did he say those dimmers were controlling
flourescents, Pop?

The dimmers are NOT controlling fluorescent lights.

They
control incandescent lights.

Another bit of clarification, in case it makes a

difference.
These dimmer switches are not the kind with a sliding

knob.
These are the kind that, from 4+ feet away, look just

like
standard ON-OFF home wall switches.

Still puzzled, but with some good information and
suggestions for further research.

Thanks.