Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Ashby Peter Ashby is offline

Default Machine Mart workbenches - anygood?

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Steve wrote:
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:50:13 +0100, Rob Horton wrote:

Any other recommendations?

Sign up to your local freecycle list( www.freecycle.org ), and pick up a
table off there. I grabbed a old kitchen table.

Here's my recommendation:

Bloody hell, if you have the nouse, a load of 3 x 2 will soon square up
to a perfect fit and a piece of ply on top would be ideal for a DIYer
worth his salt. The tons of stuff that goes to infill from office
refurbs daily, is astonishing. Any of it would be perfectly adequate
for workbenches.

That is sort of me. Underframe is made from softwood 3X2s laminated for
extra strength. top is one piece of 18mm MDF between two pieces of 18mm
WBP ply. Underframe build using hand tools and a workmate (solid no
frills Wickes job). top was built up on the frame. The whole thing is
now rock solid stable with the insertion of a ply underbench cupboard
that fits so snugly between the legs it took two of us several attempts
to get it square enough to slide home.

Eventually I'll use it to build a hardwood bench but only for vanity
reasons, the one I have is perfectly adequate.

Peter