Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.environment
Ancient_Hacker Ancient_Hacker is offline

Default Automotive emission controls

Beloved Leader wrote:
lj_robins wrote:
Hi,

Which part of the emissions test are you failing, CO, CO2, NOx, or
Hydrocarbons?

-Landon

Hydrocarbons. The last test, yesterday, I missed by 4 ppm at 15mph. The
limit is 55 ppm, and I came in at 59 ppm. Everything else passed. CO %
and NO ppm are great.

You might have carbon buildup on the intake valves. No simple way to
fix that. On expensive BMW's they sandblast the stuff off ( not with
sand, with walnut shells ). But for some unfathomable reason they want
$600 for that treatment.

Since you're not too far off, have you tried an "Italian Tuneup"? Find
a reason to take the highway, driving as fast as reasonable for 20 to
40 miles. That might do the trick.