Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.environment
Eric Swanson Eric Swanson is offline

Default Automotive emission controls

In article .com,
says...

Homer J Simpson wrote:
Carburetor or fuel injection?

Carburetor. The "Y" code 307 V8 was just about the last of the
carbureted engines in automobiles. It may have been the cleanest
carbureted gasoline automotive engine of all time too. GM got one more
year out of it, using it in 1990-model cars too. In the 1991-model
cars, GM replaced it with the injected Chevy-based 305.

I'm squeamish about the idea of pulling things off to get through the
test. I know, you do what you have to do, but that sounds as if it
would introduce a vacuum leak.

Your approach to fixing the problems reminds me of similar problems I had a
while back. Older carbs with plastic floats tend to have problems as they age
due to the float slowly soaking up gasoline and becoming too heavy, thus
setting the float height will lead to too much gas in the float bowl. I fought
with a Carter carb on a '79 GM for years, due to the power valve needle jet
mechanism corroding and thus sticking open. Those GM inlet air heaters can
fail, thus preventing the carb temperature from reaching the proper level, a
symptom being that it's extra hard to start in colder weather. Platinum plugs
are great, as well as new plug wires. When you go in for inspection, be sure
the car is completely warmed to normal operating temperature and don't leave it
parked before the test, which will cool it down. On another vehicle, I finally
bit the bullet and replaced the catalytic converter, which then passed.

--
Eric Swanson --- E-mail address: e_swanson(at)skybest.com :-)