Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
DGG DGG is offline

Default Review Update: Delta 16" VS Lathe - PM/Jet VFD Info (long)

Morris Dovey said:

DGG (in ) said:

| The Delta VFD controller, as well as the PM/Jet, are VFD-S series
| controllers. Mostly standard, off the shelf products. For example,
| the unit used on the Delta is based on the VFD015S21A/B controller.

It's an extremely capable and flexible controller. I have one driving
the spindle on my ShopBot. Did you get the manual containing all of
the register/parameter info?

As an update, couldn't find the old DIY interface card, so I drug out
the old IC data books and cobbled up a new one. Far fewer parts this
time around, due to the more modern ASIC's available. Gotta love that
misc. semiconductor junkbox that the ex-SWMBO wanted me to toss.

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...5Interface.jpg

It took far longer to find the almost forgotten prototype stuff than
to build the RS232/RS485 interface. Granted, it's not destined for
retail distribution, but it satisfied my curiosity as to what's going
on in the controller. At least I now have a dump of the internal
register settings - few of which differ from the factory defaults.

Suddenly, a CNC lathe for turning segmented vessels is sounding like
an interesting (and complex) project. One hand turned original, and a
limited production run of signed, machine turned copies. That CNC
hollowing rig is sure to be a bear to design.

These damned evil computers are now invading the woodshop...
Is there no escape?!

FWIW