Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default Review Update: Delta 16" VS Lathe - PM/Jet VFD Info (long)

In rec.crafts.woodturning Troy wrote:
: Let me get this straight because I just bought a jet 1014VS and drove
: all the way to Minnesota to get it.
: your saying that delta and jet products are from the same factory?

The original post was about a controller, but to partially answer your
broader question: sort of.

Most non-industrial woodworking machines made today, including
classical American companies like Delta, are made, or at least the heavier
metal parts are made, overseas. Taiwan is still the major
ocation, although mainland China and India are getting into the game.
(For an example of the latter, I bought one of the last pairs of cast-iron
legs for the Nova 3000 lathe to be imported into the US; they were
cast in India).

Individual companies specify what they want, and the factories give them
what they ask for. This includes design of the machines, but also
things like uniformity of the cast iron, tolerances in size, etc.

It's not a bad thing, necessarily; you pay a lot less than if
it were made in the US totally, is the argument.

-- Andy Barss