Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos hylourgos is offline

Default BEARS DEN INVADED!!

marc rosen wrote:
Hey Troy,
Most spiders are harmless and they will only bite if you grab them.

Even then, most spiders' fangs are not large or powerful enough to
break the thicker skin of a hand (at least where you would grab them).
And most animals, spiders included, when grabbed often become passive
and prepare for the impending death stroke from another animal, as if
they realize they're going to become another animal's meal and quickly
adjust to the idea.

I had a childhood friend who used to pick up Black Widows, and none of
them ever bit him. I even dared him once to tap on an egg sac then grab
the female, which he did. She did nothing. Maybe it was him, maybe it
was circumstance, and of course no one should do that kind of thing on
purpose, but it was interesting to me to note that they did not readily
bite.

Seriously, don't be annoyed by them.

Hard for an arachnaphobe to hear, but if not truly phobic then this is
great advice. The way I look at it is that the only downside is
cleaning out their webs on occasion; the upside is that they get rid of
the bugs I really detest and rarely see (silverfish, mosquitoes and
gnats, moths, etc.).

And the only bad thing about one
getting in your printer is if he gets stuck in a roller. (bad for him,
not you or the printer)
Many years ago I had a small jumping spider walk out on the screen of
my Macintosh. I moved the cursor towards it and the spider became
defensive. Then as I moved the cursor away ,the spider pursued it. We
"sparred " for about 10 minutes before I had to get back to work (on
the computer).
The spider was back the next day and we sparred again. I did not see
him after that though. Kind of sad, because I was looking forward to
teasing the spider while I did some computer work.
Marc

That's a good story, thanks Marc.

Troy wrote:
I have my shop in my 2 car garage that is "finished" in that it has
plywood along the exterior walls, but there is very little insulation (
I'm working on that ).
However... I'VE BEEN INVADED!!.... I am currently at war with spiders
big enough to carry me away! I don't know where these things come from
but they ain't tiny house spiders and they aren't tarantulas. but one
just invaded my printer.. *Ponders how in the world to get him back
out* What do you guys n gals do to keep this from happening...
I don't mind most bugs .... BUT I HATE ARACHNIDS!!!!

signed... The scared bear!