Posted to rec.woodworking

Default BEARS DEN INVADED!!

I have my shop in my 2 car garage that is "finished" in that it has
plywood along the exterior walls, but there is very little insulation (
I'm working on that ).
However... I'VE BEEN INVADED!!.... I am currently at war with spiders
big enough to carry me away! I don't know where these things come from
but they ain't tiny house spiders and they aren't tarantulas. but one
just invaded my printer.. *Ponders how in the world to get him back
out* What do you guys n gals do to keep this from happening...
I don't mind most bugs .... BUT I HATE ARACHNIDS!!!!

signed... The scared bear!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Troy" stopped screaming like a sissy long enough to write:

I'VE BEEN INVADED!!.... I am currently at war with spiders
big enough to carry me away!

First of all, don't be afraid - spiders can smell fear.

Sounds like wolf spiders, which are totally harmless, except for the
extremely painful bite.

Try using a shop vac on 'em - boy does that **** them off!

Hope this helps.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 09:47:51 -0500, Troy wrote:

I have my shop in my 2 car garage that is "finished" in that it has
plywood along the exterior walls, but there is very little insulation (
I'm working on that ).
However... I'VE BEEN INVADED!!.... I am currently at war with spiders
big enough to carry me away! I don't know where these things come from
but they ain't tiny house spiders and they aren't tarantulas. but one
just invaded my printer.. *Ponders how in the world to get him back
out* What do you guys n gals do to keep this from happening...
I don't mind most bugs .... BUT I HATE ARACHNIDS!!!!

signed... The scared bear!

I fog my shop at least once a month with these:
http://tinyurl.com/fhn62

You can get them at any of the borgs or wally world.. work great..

I note only hate spiders but don't care for webs and such in the shop...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Troy,
Most spiders are harmless and they will only bite if you grab them.
Seriously, don't be annoyed by them. And the only bad thing about one
getting in your printer is if he gets stuck in a roller. (bad for him,
not you or the printer)
Many years ago I had a small jumping spider walk out on the screen of
my Macintosh. I moved the cursor towards it and the spider became
defensive. Then as I moved the cursor away ,the spider pursued it. We
"sparred " for about 10 minutes before I had to get back to work (on
the computer).
The spider was back the next day and we sparred again. I did not see
him after that though. Kind of sad, because I was looking forward to
teasing the spider while I did some computer work.
Marc

Troy wrote:
I have my shop in my 2 car garage that is "finished" in that it has
plywood along the exterior walls, but there is very little insulation (
I'm working on that ).
However... I'VE BEEN INVADED!!.... I am currently at war with spiders
big enough to carry me away! I don't know where these things come from
but they ain't tiny house spiders and they aren't tarantulas. but one
just invaded my printer.. *Ponders how in the world to get him back
out* What do you guys n gals do to keep this from happening...
I don't mind most bugs .... BUT I HATE ARACHNIDS!!!!

signed... The scared bear!

Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote:
Hey Troy,
Most spiders are harmless and they will only bite if you grab them.

Even then, most spiders' fangs are not large or powerful enough to
break the thicker skin of a hand (at least where you would grab them).
And most animals, spiders included, when grabbed often become passive
and prepare for the impending death stroke from another animal, as if
they realize they're going to become another animal's meal and quickly
adjust to the idea.

I had a childhood friend who used to pick up Black Widows, and none of
them ever bit him. I even dared him once to tap on an egg sac then grab
the female, which he did. She did nothing. Maybe it was him, maybe it
was circumstance, and of course no one should do that kind of thing on
purpose, but it was interesting to me to note that they did not readily
bite.

Seriously, don't be annoyed by them.

Hard for an arachnaphobe to hear, but if not truly phobic then this is
great advice. The way I look at it is that the only downside is
cleaning out their webs on occasion; the upside is that they get rid of
the bugs I really detest and rarely see (silverfish, mosquitoes and
gnats, moths, etc.).

And the only bad thing about one
getting in your printer is if he gets stuck in a roller. (bad for him,
not you or the printer)
Many years ago I had a small jumping spider walk out on the screen of
my Macintosh. I moved the cursor towards it and the spider became
defensive. Then as I moved the cursor away ,the spider pursued it. We
"sparred " for about 10 minutes before I had to get back to work (on
the computer).
The spider was back the next day and we sparred again. I did not see
him after that though. Kind of sad, because I was looking forward to
teasing the spider while I did some computer work.
Marc

That's a good story, thanks Marc.

Troy wrote:
I have my shop in my 2 car garage that is "finished" in that it has
plywood along the exterior walls, but there is very little insulation (
I'm working on that ).
However... I'VE BEEN INVADED!!.... I am currently at war with spiders
big enough to carry me away! I don't know where these things come from
but they ain't tiny house spiders and they aren't tarantulas. but one
just invaded my printer.. *Ponders how in the world to get him back
out* What do you guys n gals do to keep this from happening...
I don't mind most bugs .... BUT I HATE ARACHNIDS!!!!

signed... The scared bear!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Troy wrote:
I have my shop in my 2 car garage that is "finished" in that it has
plywood along the exterior walls, but there is very little insulation (
I'm working on that ).
However... I'VE BEEN INVADED!!.... I am currently at war with spiders
big enough to carry me away! I don't know where these things come from
but they ain't tiny house spiders and they aren't tarantulas. but one
just invaded my printer.. *Ponders how in the world to get him back
out* What do you guys n gals do to keep this from happening...
I don't mind most bugs .... BUT I HATE ARACHNIDS!!!!

I wonder how other posters can so confidently overlook the possibility
of brown recluse or hobo spiders (both of which have necrotizing venom)
given almost zero information.

Hire an exterminator.

Posted to rec.woodworking

of brown recluse or hobo spiders (both of which have necrotizing venom)
given almost zero information.

Hire an exterminator.

I saw a show on Discovery or TLC about necrotizing venom. Yikes!!!
You'd be better off getting napalm on you then this stuff. DAGS these
type of spiders for a pic and be sure that you don't have anythink like
that in your shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"boorite" wrote in message
ups.com...

Troy wrote:
I have my shop in my 2 car garage that is "finished" in that it has
plywood along the exterior walls, but there is very little insulation (
I'm working on that ).
However... I'VE BEEN INVADED!!.... I am currently at war with spiders
big enough to carry me away! I don't know where these things come from
but they ain't tiny house spiders and they aren't tarantulas. but one
just invaded my printer.. *Ponders how in the world to get him back
out* What do you guys n gals do to keep this from happening...
I don't mind most bugs .... BUT I HATE ARACHNIDS!!!!

I wonder how other posters can so confidently overlook the possibility
of brown recluse or hobo spiders (both of which have necrotizing venom)
given almost zero information.

Since the OP stated they were BIG spiders it would be apparent to anyone
reading BIG that it's neither the Brown Recluse nor the Hobo - both of which
are considered small arachnids.

I would consider that a lot of information.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
Remove their food sources, and they'll leave. Tom

To elaborate on that:

Spiders eat insects. There must be insects in your shop, or else
the spiders wouldn't be there. Get rid of those other bugs that you
don't mind and you won't have spiders to worry about.

I had a roomate in college who worked as an exterminator.
When he got a call about spiders, he looked for some other
bugs and killed them.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:34:21 GMT, "Juvenal"
wrote:

"Troy" stopped screaming like a sissy long enough to write:

I'VE BEEN INVADED!!.... I am currently at war with spiders
big enough to carry me away!

First of all, don't be afraid - spiders can smell fear.

Sounds like wolf spiders, which are totally harmless, except for the
extremely painful bite.

If you are talking about members of the Lycosidae family then the
above is incorrect!

Wolf Spiders are venomous. While not generally considered to be
lethal, a bite could result in serious illness for a young child, the
aged, or those with a compromised immune function.

Try using a shop vac on 'em - boy does that **** them off!

Hope this helps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default BEARS DEN INVADED!! - Resolved

Dear arachnids;
It has come to my attention that you are protesting my occupancy of
the garage. I've heard your protest and am sorry to inform you that do
to the following circumstances you will be forced to vacate said
premises immediately...

1. You pay no rent towards upkeep of said property
2. You do not provide any material to help me in my shop
3. You do not attack burglars who might want my precious equipment
4. I don't like you and think your ugly... Especially when you drop
on my head or race down the wall like your charging after me.
5. You don't speak to me nor smile for the web cam.

Ergo you are hereby order to vacate the premises promptly. You are
welcome to reside OUTSIDE the shop and any other exterior areas that I
possess. You may even live in the boat for the winter ( p.s. theres
probably lots of good ants in there for you to eat ). I will happily
leave the outside insects for you to consume as you desire.
Lastly please note this is not a democracy. I am the dictator in this
kingdom and have spoken. Having done so I hereby issue a proclamation
of death to any who refuse to comply. Your domiciles will be decimated
within 24hrs.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Thank you for your time.
Bear
There that oughta do it. Time to shop the flea markets for a hose for
the vacuum cleaner.*now I just gotta find a notary to make it legal*

wrote:
tom wrote:

Remove their food sources, and they'll leave. Tom

To elaborate on that:

Spiders eat insects. There must be insects in your shop, or else
the spiders wouldn't be there. Get rid of those other bugs that you
don't mind and you won't have spiders to worry about.

I had a roomate in college who worked as an exterminator.
When he got a call about spiders, he looked for some other
bugs and killed them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Troy (in ) said:

| What do you guys n gals do to keep this
| from happening...

I put a hedge apple in each corner of the shop. The spiders stay out.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

I put a hedge apple in each corner of the shop.

Which is???

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Osage Orange trees have these big green baseball sized things hanging off
them this time of year. 'round here, there called monkey brains and the
old wives tale says putting one in each corner will keep the spiders
way. --dave

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
Morris Dovey wrote:

I put a hedge apple in each corner of the shop.

Which is???

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Bugg (in ) said:

| Morris Dovey wrote:
|
|| I put a hedge apple in each corner of the shop.
|
| Which is???

A 50x50 space at one end of a steel building. It's square and the
corners are where the walls meet.

Oh, the hedge apples? They're the inedible fruit of /Maclura pomifera/
or osage orange. See
http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plant...sage_Orange.ht
m for info. As far as I've been able to find out, they grow in most
areas of the US; and a Google search turned up some UK references.

Spiders don't seem to like to be around 'em.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Jackson wrote:

Osage Orange trees have these big green baseball sized things hanging
off them this time of year. 'round here, there called monkey brains
and the old wives tale says putting one in each corner will keep the
spiders way. --dave

Thanks for filling me in.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

A 50x50 space at one end of a steel building. It's square and the
corners are where the walls meet.

LOL!!! Boy, did I fall into that one.

Oh, the hedge apples? They're the inedible fruit of /Maclura pomifera/
or osage orange. See
http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plant...sage_Orange.ht
m for info. As far as I've been able to find out, they grow in most
areas of the US; and a Google search turned up some UK references.

Spiders don't seem to like to be around 'em.

Thanks for the info, Morris.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hedge apple is the "fruit" of the Osage Orange tree. Why they call it
an apple when it comes from an "orange" tree is beyond me. It looks
alot like a cross between a puffer fish and an apple. It is a green
sphere with pointed spikes ( soft normally) radiating from it. I've
seen them all over the place in kansas, and its very common there to
fill a 5 gallon bucket once/yr or so with them and just set it in the
corner. Just like Misqoutoes don't like eucalyptus spiders HATE hedge
apples. I have no idea why but it is strong enough that it will keep
several stories of rooms clear. I had forgotten about that till morris
wrote it.

Thanks for reminding me... Now just to find them.

Troy

Dave Bugg wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:

I put a hedge apple in each corner of the shop.

Which is???

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Home Depot sells No pest strips. I use them all year and have not only no
bugs but no mice. Only a slight odor.20X30 uses 3. Not real cheap but they
last about 4-5 months

Posted to rec.woodworking

Troy wrote:

Thanks for reminding me... Now just to find them.

I gotta find out if they can be obtained in eastern Washington State.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Vic Baron wrote:

Since the OP stated they were BIG spiders it would be apparent to anyone
reading BIG that it's neither the Brown Recluse nor the Hobo - both of which
are considered small arachnids.

I would consider that a lot of information.

No, hobo spiders are considered "moderately large" (up to 18mm), and if
I saw them in my house, I would feel justified in typing BIG in all
caps. They are also now the leading cause of serious envenomation in
the northwestern United States. Brown recluse get about 2/3 as large.
Since "BIG" is vague and subjective, I do not consider this "a lot of
information." Even with a specimen in hand, it is usually very
difficult to identify the species. I don't think anyone can confidently
say what these spiders are or aren't, given the OP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

boorite wrote:
Vic Baron wrote:

Since the OP stated they were BIG spiders it would be apparent to anyone
reading BIG that it's neither the Brown Recluse nor the Hobo - both of which
are considered small arachnids.

I would consider that a lot of information.

No, hobo spiders are considered "moderately large" (up to 18mm), and if
I saw them in my house, I would feel justified in typing BIG in all
caps. They are also now the leading cause of serious envenomation in
the northwestern United States. Brown recluse get about 2/3 as large.
Since "BIG" is vague and subjective, I do not consider this "a lot of
information." Even with a specimen in hand, it is usually very
difficult to identify the species. I don't think anyone can confidently
say what these spiders are or aren't, given the OP.

PS: The largest recorded brown recluse was almost 3".

Posted to rec.woodworking

boorite wrote:

PS: The largest recorded brown recluse was almost 3".

This is what I just found in the bedroom:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1807645163/photo/434962

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

from the picture I saw and the one that ran across the wall shortly
there after and the webs on the windows, I'd be willing to wager they
are hobo's. I'm going to try to get a good picture of one. ( shutterbug
in me.) Course I could just turn the webcam on and let'r run LOL

Troy

boorite wrote:
Vic Baron wrote:

Since the OP stated they were BIG spiders it would be apparent to anyone
reading BIG that it's neither the Brown Recluse nor the Hobo - both of which
are considered small arachnids.

I would consider that a lot of information.

No, hobo spiders are considered "moderately large" (up to 18mm), and if
I saw them in my house, I would feel justified in typing BIG in all
caps. They are also now the leading cause of serious envenomation in
the northwestern United States. Brown recluse get about 2/3 as large.
Since "BIG" is vague and subjective, I do not consider this "a lot of
information." Even with a specimen in hand, it is usually very
difficult to identify the species. I don't think anyone can confidently
say what these spiders are or aren't, given the OP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

That gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.
I once wanted to photograph a trantula that was walking down the road...
he was moving quickly and I ASSUMED that was full speed for him as for a
spider he was flat moving!
so I laid down on the road to use the road as my tripod, got the camera
all set and focus'd and waited for him to fill the screen. When he was
about 3' away he CHARGED the camera ( or me ) and it took all of my
courage to lay there and wait for that "perfect" shot. Just as I hit
the shutter and rolled like crazy the opposite direction, he went
whizzing by. MAN they can move.

Troy

boorite wrote:
boorite wrote:

PS: The largest recorded brown recluse was almost 3".

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default BEARS DEN INVADED!! - pics

JEEZ, one just went flying across my keyboard. He's dead now!
http://www.treeturner.com/spiderbelly.jpg
http://www.treeturner.com/spiderback.jpg
This one was smaller then the others but was awfully agressive.
the yellow sack discharged alot of liquid when I hit'm

Troy

Troy wrote:
That gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.
I once wanted to photograph a trantula that was walking down the
road... he was moving quickly and I ASSUMED that was full speed for
him as for a spider he was flat moving!
so I laid down on the road to use the road as my tripod, got the
camera all set and focus'd and waited for him to fill the screen.
When he was about 3' away he CHARGED the camera ( or me ) and it took
all of my courage to lay there and wait for that "perfect" shot. Just
as I hit the shutter and rolled like crazy the opposite direction, he
went whizzing by. MAN they can move.

Troy

Posted to rec.woodworking

LOL, he can have the bedroom, I've got the shop and the dog house LOL
Troy

anyone notice daves last name is BUGG :P

Dave Bugg wrote:
boorite wrote:

PS: The largest recorded brown recluse was almost 3".

This is what I just found in the bedroom:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1807645163/photo/434962

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Dave Bugg wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:

I put a hedge apple in each corner of the shop.

Which is???

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Why, that's where 2 walls meet a a right angle, of course.

I like to put a henway there myself.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Fri, Oct 6, 2006, 1:52am (EDT-1) seeks
enlightenment by mumbling:
Which is???

It's no crime, being ignorant about something, but you could have
at least "tried" to find the answer on your own before you asked.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...&q=HEDGE+APPLE

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Fri, Oct 6, 2006, 1:52am (EDT-1) did posteth:
In article , Dave Bugg
wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:
I put a hedge apple in each corner of the shop.
Which is???
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Why, that's where 2 walls meet a a right angle, of course.
I like to put a henway there myself.

Ah drat. My key stuck and I could scroll down far enough, so
thought I was answering you, and actually it wasn't, it was Dave Bugg.
Drat, drat, drat. Sorry about that. Dave, next time DAGS.

I already know about henway. Wonder if road apples would work.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Bugg (in ) said:

| Morris Dovey wrote:
|
|| A 50x50 space at one end of a steel building. It's square and the
|| corners are where the walls meet.
|
| LOL!!! Boy, did I fall into that one.
|
|| Oh, the hedge apples? They're the inedible fruit of /Maclura
|| pomifera/ or osage orange. See
http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plant...sage_Orange.ht
|| m for info. As far as I've been able to find out, they grow in most
|| areas of the US; and a Google search turned up some UK references.
|| Spiders don't seem to like to be around 'em.
|
| Thanks for the info, Morris.

You've probably seen 'em (wherever you are.) There's a fairly good
photo at
http://www.cirrusimage.com/Trees/osage_orange_1.jpg

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have my shop in my 2 car garage that is "finished" in that it has
plywood along the exterior walls, but there is very little insulation (
I'm working on that ).
However... I'VE BEEN INVADED!!.... I am currently at war with spiders
big enough to carry me away! I don't know where these things come from
but they ain't tiny house spiders and they aren't tarantulas. but one
just invaded my printer.. *Ponders how in the world to get him back
out* What do you guys n gals do to keep this from happening...
I don't mind most bugs .... BUT I HATE ARACHNIDS!!!!

signed... The scared bear!

My reading of this message took me off on other related topics.

Brown Recluse Spiders are the ones to fear I imagine.

http://images.google.com/images?hs=8...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Bugg wrote:
boorite wrote:

PS: The largest recorded brown recluse was almost 3".

This is what I just found in the bedroom:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1807645163/photo/434962

You know, if you see one of those, it means you have at least 1,000.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Troy wrote:
JEEZ, one just went flying across my keyboard. He's dead now!
http://www.treeturner.com/spiderbelly.jpg
http://www.treeturner.com/spiderback.jpg
This one was smaller then the others but was awfully agressive.
the yellow sack discharged alot of liquid when I hit'm

*shudder* Looks hobo-ish to me. You can take it to a cooperative
extension agent or someone like that to identify it, and they can
advise you on controlling them.

Aggression is consistent with the hobo spider profile. Its nickname is
the "aggressive house spider."

Ick, ick, ick. And I'm not particularly arachnophobic.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 Oct 2006 13:19:59 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

of brown recluse or hobo spiders (both of which have necrotizing venom)
given almost zero information.

Hire an exterminator.

I saw a show on Discovery or TLC about necrotizing venom. Yikes!!!
You'd be better off getting napalm on you then this stuff. DAGS these
type of spiders for a pic and be sure that you don't have anythink like
that in your shop.

Yep.. my bro-in-law was bitten by a recluse...
He's had 2 or 3 operations, to remove dead tissue from his leg... yuk!

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 17:53:32 -0700, "Dave Bugg" wrote:

boorite wrote:

PS: The largest recorded brown recluse was almost 3".

This is what I just found in the bedroom:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1807645163/photo/434962

WOW.. now that's a true SWMBO!!
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

boorite wrote:

Dave Bugg wrote:
This is what I just found in the bedroom:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1807645163/photo/434962

You know, if you see one of those, it means you have at least 1,000.

ROTFLOL...

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com