Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Wind turbines - can be DIY made?

On 2006-10-04, Owain wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
Traditionally, you use the generator from an old bus and make the rest
from other bits of scrap.
If it's so easy I wonder why aren't people doing it ... or perhaps they
are and are keeping quiet about the results :-)

Because by the time you take into account the miserable amount of power
available and the cost of a large bank of batteries to store it (and
their periodic replacement), it works out several times the cost per
unit compared to buying electricity from the mains.

The last time I worked it out for here (when our 'leccy bill hit
GBP1K/annum) the repay time for an aerogenerator was in excess of
its expected lifetime. Waste of money. We've started an aggressive
electricity saving campaign instead.

Must be running all those GSRs in the shed ;-)