Posted to uk.d-i-y
cupra cupra is offline

Default Wind turbines - can be DIY made?

wrote:
dg wrote:
I noticed a wind turbine in B&Q, and it is nothing more than a motor,
on a pole with a propellor and some box of electronics.

Its a bit more than that, though not a huge amount. The motor has to
be a type that offers near zero starting torque, which rules most
motors out. It also has to be one where low speed can produce the
wanted output, which again rules many out. It also should preferably
be PM field to avoid losses, though there are some excited field gens
around.

It looks like a standard 6 pole AC induction motor to me - the electronics
control box has to be powered externally so I suspect they're running a
speed controller with zero speed demand, which'd magnetise the motor enough
to regen back into the mains as the motor shaft moves.....