Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop Dave Fawthrop is offline

Default Wind turbines - can be DIY made?

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 04:37:56 +0100, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname
here.uk.com wrote:

|"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
.net...

| "nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message
|
| "dg" wrote in message
| ups.com...
|
| ... How much would the parts be?
|
| Traditionally, you use the generator from an old bus and make the rest
| from other bits of scrap.
|
| If it's so easy I wonder why aren't people doing it ... or perhaps they
| are and are keeping quiet about the results :-)
|
|Generating electricity from wind turbines is not difficult. Generating it
|when you need it is more of a problem. The B&Q turbines rely upon mains
|electricity as a backup. Using the mains supply as the secondary source used
|to be a breach of most domestic electricity supply contracts and selling
|domestically generated electricity to the generating companies was once
|quite unheard of.

Worse synchronising the turbine output with mains AC at the correct
frequency, phase etc, then adjusting the phase angle to feed power back
into the mains is **VERY** **VERY** difficult. If you do not understand
what I said above it is more or less impossible.