Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Dura Vic Dura is offline

Default FRUSTRATION: (UPDATE) Toilet clogs repeatedly...

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 17:55:32 GMT, crapper wrote Re
FRUSTRATION: (UPDATE) Toilet clogs repeatedly...:

4. Removed toilet from wax seal (it had the type with a combination
wax seal and rubber flange)
- No visible or palpable obstruction in the toilet
- No visible or palpable obstruction in the drain pipe
- Probed both again with toilet augur
No improvement after cleaning the toilet base and flange and
replacing with new wax seal with flange

I once had the same type of problem. Liquids would flush fine, but
toilet paper would cause the toilet to slow-drain. When I removed the
bowl I was expecting to see an obstruction, but didn't see anything. I
put my hand up into the bottom of the bowl from where it meets with
the wax ring. At first I couldn't find any obstruction. Then I found
it.

A piece of dental floss! Someone had flushed it and it got caught in
there. It would snag toilet paper and slow the flush, but liquids-only
had no problem.

Feel around up there for anything that could cause a snag. Reach up as
far as you can but be careful not to get you hand stuck.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.