Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H. R.H. is offline

Default What is it? Set 134

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 22:29:49 GMT, "R.H."
wrote:

Take a look at my doctored image where I highlighted in
yellow where I suspect a spring should go:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/grpsprng.jpg

I would be curious to know approximately how much this thing
weighs too, when you get a chance to ask more about it.

I just added a photo that shows where Gary placed a spring, same as in

your
pictu

http://pzphotosan134-5.blogspot.com/

It weighs 2 pounds 15 ounces, and considering that it opens to a maximum

of
6", I think the well hook answer is correct.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the follow up.

I'm pretty sure you're on the right track. I didn't really
think it looked to be heavy-duty enough to be lifting
anything much. It even weighs less than I would have hazard
guessing...

If the patent date is truly accurate, I'm pretty sure the
one I linked to before would be the most likely candidate. I
searched through that date pretty well via hit-and-miss and
classes (classes are the best way to search, but take the
most homework to figure out).

It sure would be nice to have the original instructions that
must have went with this item. I think there must have been
something (another string or rope) that attached to the
sliding wedge at the top too.

Did the owner happen to comment on how/where they got it
from? No biggy, just curious. That might shed some more
light on the matter.

As others have commented, Thanks a lot for putting all your
work into this "puzzle" every week

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

He got it from a garage sale a little north of Dallas, and since the
inventor lived in Arkansas, this is another indication that it's most likely
a well hook.

Rob