Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 134

"R.H." wrote in message

785 - Really intrigued me with its diminutive size, so I
mucked around till I found the most likely patent number. I
think it is 435,590 "Grappling Hook". It was claimed to be
used for retrieving objects from water wells. i.e. dippers,
buckets, anything that had been dropped in that would stop
the well from functioning properly. See:

http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat435590.pdf

It does work in a similar manner, maybe the same person got a couple of
patents on the same day for two different hooks or he got this patent and
then modified the tool and kept the same date. I'm guessing that the one

on
my site isn't spring loaded, but I'll ask the owner of it, though he's out
of town for a couple of days so it will be a while until I get an answer.
Thanks for finding that.

It's clearly missing its spring which would locate in the notches either
side of the top of the arms.
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted an image of the carpet stretcher from an old Sears catalog

where
it sold for 37 cents:

http://pzphotosan134-5.blogspot.com/

Inherited from my mother via my grandparents I have a similar but simpler
carpet stretcher. It's about 1 foot long and consists of almost identical
metal teeth like yours at one end and a turned wooden handle comprising a 1
inch diameter shaft and a round circular pad about 4 inches in diameter at
the end. You dig the teeth into the carpet, push it taught and then hold the
tension with your knee against the pad while you nail the carpet down. I
clearly recall asking mum what this strange thing was when I was a kid.

Yours is designed to be used by digging the teeth into the carpet then using
the hooked lever against the edge of the floorboards to pull the carpet
tight then finally you press the spike through the carpet and into the
floorboards to hold everything. Basically a hands (or knees) free version of
the simpler one I own. Frankly I'm not sure if so many holes in a fine
carpet would be a good idea. Of course yours requires floorboards under the
carpet to take the spike and mine can be used even if the carpets are over a
stone or concrete floor.

I've no idea where it is at present but if it ever turns up again I'll post
a photo to you. It's entirely possible my grandfather bought it to help him
fit the carpets in the house he built when he married my grandmother in the
early part of last century.

I'm slightly annoyed that having such a similar object with the same teeth I
still didn't twig what your device was until the solution was posted.
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk
"Why," said Ford squatting down beside him and shivering, "are you lying
face down in the dust?"
"It's a very effective way of being wretched," said Marvin.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:56:38 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:05:25 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted an image of the carpet stretcher from an old Sears catalog

where
it sold for 37 cents:

http://pzphotosan134-5.blogspot.com/

And, what is "Japanned" steel?

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

I was wondering that myself, according to the web site below, it's "most
often a heavy black lacquer, almost like enamel paint."

Indeed. A lot of the early Japanese cameras were "japanned"...rather
than blued. A fairly tough lacquer, IRRC shellac based. When it
chips..it leaves bright metal under it usually.

http://www.answers.com/japanned&r=67

I thought it might be a dated term, but Lee Valley still uses it:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43631,43634

Rob

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Brian Lawson wrote:
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 00:55:04 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
Rob H.:
781. Coal shovel

SNIP

I've looked but haven't been able to find one on the web like it.

Rob

Hey Rob,

Maybe not on the web, but I have one like it in my back-yard as a
decorative item.. Bought it for 2 bucks at an auction, so I've no idea
either.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Ontario, huh....ever do any ice fishing? What did/would you use to
clear the ice from the hole?

--

Ted
Don't forget to take out the trash
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Take a look at my doctored image where I highlighted in
yellow where I suspect a spring should go:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/grpsprng.jpg

I would be curious to know approximately how much this thing
weighs too, when you get a chance to ask more about it.

I just added a photo that shows where Gary placed a spring, same as in your
pictu

http://pzphotosan134-5.blogspot.com/

It weighs 2 pounds 15 ounces, and considering that it opens to a maximum of
6", I think the well hook answer is correct.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 22:29:49 GMT, "R.H."
wrote:

Take a look at my doctored image where I highlighted in
yellow where I suspect a spring should go:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/grpsprng.jpg

I would be curious to know approximately how much this thing
weighs too, when you get a chance to ask more about it.

I just added a photo that shows where Gary placed a spring, same as in

your
pictu

http://pzphotosan134-5.blogspot.com/

It weighs 2 pounds 15 ounces, and considering that it opens to a maximum

of
6", I think the well hook answer is correct.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the follow up.

I'm pretty sure you're on the right track. I didn't really
think it looked to be heavy-duty enough to be lifting
anything much. It even weighs less than I would have hazard
guessing...

If the patent date is truly accurate, I'm pretty sure the
one I linked to before would be the most likely candidate. I
searched through that date pretty well via hit-and-miss and
classes (classes are the best way to search, but take the
most homework to figure out).

It sure would be nice to have the original instructions that
must have went with this item. I think there must have been
something (another string or rope) that attached to the
sliding wedge at the top too.

Did the owner happen to comment on how/where they got it
from? No biggy, just curious. That might shed some more
light on the matter.

As others have commented, Thanks a lot for putting all your
work into this "puzzle" every week

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

He got it from a garage sale a little north of Dallas, and since the
inventor lived in Arkansas, this is another indication that it's most likely
a well hook.

Rob