Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] fredfighter@spamcop.net is offline

Default OT Completely!!! Spanish? Que?

B A R R Y wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Not quite... India used to be a British colony, remember? They still teach
English in the schools there. The two official languages of India are Hindi
and English. I've met a fair number of [Asian] Indians in the workplace and in
college; all of them speak excellent English, and all of them learned to speak
it in India -- in fact, it's the first language for some of them.

So, you work with cab drivers and Indian restaurant prep cooks? One of
the guys stocks the coolers and shelves at his friend's large liquor
store. These folks are NOT IT people, call center managers, doctors,
etc... or for that matter, college educated.

My wife teaches in an inner city school. While English certainly _is_
the official second language in India, these folks aren't very good with
it. Therefore, the kids would translate my wife to Hindi, or whatever
language they speak at home.

Often, the largest concern these folks have is that their kids are
learning proper English.

UseNet being international it ocurred ot me that your wife might
not be teaching in the US. In fact, you still didn't say in which
county that inner city is located--might have been Hamburg.

--

FF