Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King Guy King is offline

Default Wind turbines - can be DIY made?

The message . com
from contains these words:

Have you ever seen such a thing do more than power a lightbulb though?
Propellors beat a Savonius design every time, for any load bigger than
a spinning advertising sign

Those spinning advertising signs are sodding dangerous. I saw a toddler
get his head seriously smashed by one once. Just toddled into it on a
windy day. Some of them are very solidly made and have considerable
rotating mass and no apparent overspeed braking.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen one for quite a while.

--
Skipweasel