Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default Wind turbines - can be DIY made?

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 21:39:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

To put this in perspective, a 500W or so wind turbine couldn't keep a
large battery bank charged in the long term to power 3 Cisco wireless
bridges, a router and switch. And this was on top of a hill with good
exposure to strong winds...

What did you do instead?

Went bust I should think, or dug some cable...

Spent £2,000 with the local power company for a mains conection at the TV
transmitter a couple of hundred yards along the hill top. ISTR that that
2k was just for the connection though may have include the cable. We used
a local contrcator to dig and fill the trench.

Definitely micro windpower is a waste of time and fossil fuels.

Another site with two large solar panels (2' x 5' approx) and wind
turbine couldn't hack it either. Tea leaves helping themselves to the
panels didn't help that site has been abandonded.

It's worth noting that both sites had winds sufficient to break three
turbines in total. One was supposed to be rated up to 120mph or so...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail