Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default Light wood to Dark Mahagany stain....how?

trs80 . . .

I agree with 'nailshooter' - use a DYE on the raw wood and SAMPLE, SAMPLE,
SAMPLE your finish schedule. Then WAIT at least a week, before judging the
result. Some reactions take a bit of time - trust me, I've been 'bitten' !!

Where I disagree is that I prefer WATER-Based dyes. Penetrate deeper &
easier to 'handle'. There are many different 'Mahoganies' available.
Hopefully you will find one with YOUR 'mental picture' of what *Mahogany*
should look like. You may wind up getting a 'basic' Mahogany then several
other colors to add 'a bit of this and a bit of that' to get what YOU want.
A long and maybe costly project . . . worth it if you will be doing a lot
with *that* color.

A 'quick & dirty' solution - which has worked for me - is Minwax
'PolyShades' in 'Bombay Mahogany'. {Bear in mind . . . MY idea of 'Mahogany'
is the look of the transom on a classic wooden yacht !!} The first time I
used the stuff I flowed it on the way the instructions said, and the way I
apply varnish. Came out so dark it was almost black, like the old Duncan
Phiffe dining room set my parents gave us. Since then I learned how to
handle the stuff - at least for ME. a} like a 'real' stain - brush/scrub it
on, let it sit, wipe off & let dry, or b}use a cheap foam brush and apply a
coat, them 'brush it out' to the preferred 'color', and let dry at least
24-hours. NOTE - Minwax does NOT recommend their 'Clear' Poly as a finish
for most of their dark colors {probably due to 'pick-up'}.However I HAVE
used it. Just make that first coat quick & thin.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"trs80" wrote in message
Id like to stain some red oak to look like a rich dark mahogany.

SNIP

Is there a way to get a nice rich translucent red mahogany color with

using
a stain build up? Something that brings out the grain of th wood as a

stain
would?
SNIP