Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Light wood to Dark Mahagany stain....how?

Just putting in my two cents here.

I wouldn't use any kind of tinted lacquers as they can be really tricky
to get just right. And while you may be getting the right color, you
may not wind up with the amount of sealer you want. So while you apply
your tinted product for color, you will be adding both more color and
more sealer with every coat. That can be hard to control.

I agree with the above, and that is to dye the wood and then put all
the lacquer you want on it.

I spray the Behlen's Solar Lux dyes all the time, cut by about 50 - 75%
(with 99.99% alcohol) and apply it with the smallest nozzle on my gun
possible. The best way to apply it is to mist on several coats,
spraying in differnt patterns and directions to make sure you get it on
evenly.

When I am looking for an exact color, I usually spray the dye on a test
piece at the same time I am spraying the project so that I can test the
color with sealer on it. The sealer will change the color and
appearance quited a bit, so a good visual sample of your stain with
sealer is a great idea. (Trust me on that one!)

Robert