Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default Sad use of good wood

Owen Lawrence wrote:
: Last night I was watching "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery Channel. I missed
: the beginning of this segment, but tuned in on the guys microwave/vacuum
: kiln drying old growth river lumber. Cherry. Looked like they had a good
: 12" to 14" wide (and thick) slabs at least ten feet long. They used high
: tech equipment to find these logs.

: Then the logs were sliced up into veneer and glued to particle board.

Particle board, or MDF?

: Breaks my heart.

Why? Cutting it into veneer allows more of the wood's beauty to be seen.
Some of the very, very best furniture ever made is veneered, and almost
all modern veneer work is over a stable
substrate, which means manmade sheet goods.

-- Andy Barss