Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sad use of good wood

Last night I was watching "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery Channel. I missed
the beginning of this segment, but tuned in on the guys microwave/vacuum
kiln drying old growth river lumber. Cherry. Looked like they had a good
12" to 14" wide (and thick) slabs at least ten feet long. They used high
tech equipment to find these logs.

Then the logs were sliced up into veneer and glued to particle board.

Breaks my heart.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Owen Lawrence wrote:
Last night I was watching "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery Channel. I missed
the beginning of this segment, but tuned in on the guys microwave/vacuum
kiln drying old growth river lumber. Cherry. Looked like they had a good
12" to 14" wide (and thick) slabs at least ten feet long. They used high
tech equipment to find these logs.

Then the logs were sliced up into veneer and glued to particle board.

Breaks my heart.

If that's the same grey wood that Nahm used on a table project
(reclaimed wood from the bottom of a river), the stuff was ugly to
begin with and no great loss. It was wood from Mordor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
Owen Lawrence wrote:
Last night I was watching "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery Channel. I missed
the beginning of this segment, but tuned in on the guys microwave/vacuum
kiln drying old growth river lumber. Cherry. Looked like they had a good
12" to 14" wide (and thick) slabs at least ten feet long. They used high
tech equipment to find these logs.

Then the logs were sliced up into veneer and glued to particle board.

Breaks my heart.

If that's the same grey wood that Nahm used on a table project
(reclaimed wood from the bottom of a river), the stuff was ugly to
begin with and no great loss. It was wood from Mordor.

Build me a chiffarobe worthy of Mordor!

Posted to rec.woodworking
bc bc is offline

If that's the same grey wood that Nahm used on a table project
(reclaimed wood from the bottom of a river), the stuff was ugly to
begin with and no great loss. It was wood from Mordor.

I think the grey stuff is different from what the OP was talking about.
The grey stuff was from a peir or a rail road trestle that had been in
I think salt water and had gone all grey and you're right it started
ugly and ended that way too. The stuff like what the OP was talking
about is found in the bottom of fresh water rivers and although the
outer inch or so goes nasty the interior looks just like fresh sawn

wood. They have some that you can look at at heartpine.com

There is another company that does the same thing in the Great Lakes,
salvage dive and recover of old growth logs that sank during transport
from logging operations in the area. They plank or veneer depending
on the type of wood, condition of log as a whole,etc.. If the cherry
your talking about was birds eye then veneer would be more profitable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:

Last night I was watching "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery Channel.

I don't what type of wood it was, but it was salvaged from the bottom
of a body of water in Canada.

If that's the same grey wood that Nahm used on a table project
(reclaimed wood from the bottom of a river), the stuff was ugly to
begin with and no great loss. It was wood from Mordor.

Don't know what type that wood was either, but Norm got that from a
river in Virginia.

I've seen the episode of Dirty Jobs and the episode of New Yankee
Workshop, and I remember the locations, but not what kind of wood was
involved.

remove ".invalid".
Posted to rec.woodworking

Owen Lawrence wrote:
: Last night I was watching "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery Channel. I missed
: the beginning of this segment, but tuned in on the guys microwave/vacuum
: kiln drying old growth river lumber. Cherry. Looked like they had a good
: 12" to 14" wide (and thick) slabs at least ten feet long. They used high
: tech equipment to find these logs.

: Then the logs were sliced up into veneer and glued to particle board.

Particle board, or MDF?

: Breaks my heart.

Why? Cutting it into veneer allows more of the wood's beauty to be seen.
Some of the very, very best furniture ever made is veneered, and almost
all modern veneer work is over a stable
substrate, which means manmade sheet goods.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

: Breaks my heart.

Why? Cutting it into veneer allows more of the wood's beauty to be seen.
Some of the very, very best furniture ever made is veneered, and almost
all modern veneer work is over a stable
substrate, which means manmade sheet goods.

-- Andy Barss

I can well imagine a nice cherry sinker log, or any other of your more
northern growing lumber types. Here in Louisiana we don't have your
variety of sinkers, however sinker cypress, here, is prime for
cabinets. It has a light greenish/gray tint to some of it....
Desirable and expensive.

Once or twice a year, I try to get to the Morganza Floodway and collect
any trapped logs that has floated down the Miss. River. Sometimes I
can find some nice logs, and more often I find some nice nature's art
driftwood and burl pieces. Double pleasu finding lumber and an
enjoyable outing.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:
: Breaks my heart.
Why? Cutting it into veneer allows more of the wood's beauty to be seen.
Some of the very, very best furniture ever made is veneered, and almost
all modern veneer work is over a stable
substrate, which means manmade sheet goods.

I know that veneering has been used in some great pieces of furniture,
but I just hate it. No matter how well the veneering is done or how
beautiful the veneer is, it's still just skin deep and looks cheap.

Dick Durbin