Posted to rec.woodworking
LRR LRR is offline

Default Light wood to Dark Mahagany stain....how?

trs80 wrote:
Id like to stain some red oak to look like a rich dark mahogany. I can get
the color with many coats of modified tung oil wipe off stain but it takes
forever when having to allow to cure in between coats.

Sounds to me like you need a penetrating stain, like Watco. Even
something like MinWax, which has solids in it, may get dark enough. A
tung oil stain is probably just not penetrating.

I just added an oak ply end panel to a dark colored vanity (wanted to
cover up the cheap hardboard panel). The oak took a custom mixture of
several colors -- I actually would describe it as having almost a
mahogany tint. I was mostly afraid it would be too dark.

Lee