Posted to rec.woodworking
John Martin John Martin is offline

Default Sawing big wood by hand

nautilus wrote:
Wow! 5 minutes?? Darn.. I must be doing something wrong then..

I mean, I thought that I knew how to use a hand saw, and the cutted
piece was square and good, with an acceptable clean cut. But it
definitely took me more than 5 minutes... Are we talking about the same
dimensions? I was working with a piece of 3" x 8" x 7 feets long.. and
the cut was over the 7 feets, to get a 3" x 3" x 7 feet.

The hand saw was brand new, Crosscut, 8 points.. It's such a big
difference with a rip saw, maybe 5 points?

I end up really sweat, and had to make 4 or 5 pauses to get some air!

Thanks!
Mariano

There is a big difference. Very big. It's not the number of points -
although the rip saw is typically coarser - but the shape and filing
angle of the teeth. The rip saw is not well suited for cross cutting,
but for ripping it is just the ticket.

5 minutes might be a tad fast, but I'll stick by the 10. And I've
figured in a few breathers.

Send some of those cedar planks up this way and I'll let you know!

John Martin