Posted to rec.woodworking
nautilus nautilus is offline

Default Sawing big wood by hand

Hi there!

Thanks so much for all the answers! Finally, I did it! I have a 24"
crosscut saw, and it took me about 1:15 to do the cut... and I'm happy
with that. My fingers are shaking a bit while I'm writing, but at least
I didn't end up looking at the sky on my yard!!! :-D

Actually.. it was not on my yard.. but instead in my small balcony. I
live in the 4th floor, in an aparment in down town Buenos Aires. As I
said I love hand tools, but besides that, this is my only choice for
now, if I would like to start sawing from rough lumber.. For planning I
have a small bench, mounted on my kitchen, for shaving with the no 7!

The cedar is southamerican cedar, from north Argentina. It's a soft
wood.. and now you have me thinking about the maple thing... I think
I'll probably need to try that someday ;-)

Thanks to everyone!
Mariano