Posted to rec.woodworking
Wylie Wylie is offline

Default Cheap Table saw question

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Specific things to look for:

Good list Doug. I'd add one thing. Check the distance from the blade to the
miter slots front and back of the blade. First with the blade at 90 degrees,
then at 45. If the difference is greater than .01", go look elsewhere.
Something is twisted.

To clarify: he's referring to the difference between the 90-deg and 45-deg
tilt measurements, not the difference between fore and aft measurements at any
particular tilt setting. A consistent difference between fore and aft
measurements is still a problem, but it's usually very easy to fix.

The problem can sometimes be fixed, but it's nothing a beginner should want to
tackle.

Ya know, Larry, when I was putting together my list, I had the nagging feeling
in the back of my mind that I was overlooking something important, that was
easy to check.

That was it.

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Thanks all for the information. One additional question: What are you
using to measure down to .01" ? I'm guessing a measuring tape is not
that accurate?

-wylie