Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Wall Dimmer Switch Anomaly?

CWLee wrote:
My son recently replaced two wall on-off switches with
dimmer switches, new from Home Depot or Lowe's, for me.
They work fine and control incandescent lights. He
discovered, however, that even when completely off about
48-50 volts still flow through the new dimmer switches -
both of them.

We are both puzzled. We assumed that off would mean zero
volts. If this is normal isn't it a safety hazard?

Any insight appreciated.

40 or 50 volts is enough to make incandescent bulbs glow. Are the bulb
loads connected, and if so, do they glow?

If the loads aren't connected I'm guessing you have a limited knowledge
of electronics and are probably measuring the output of those dimmers
with an electronic (digital) voltmeter which is responding to miniscule
leakage currents that give you what's known as "phantom" voltage readings.

If connected bulb loads "turn off" OK, fughedit.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia