Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Sawing big wood by hand

nautilus wrote:

A few days ago I bought some cedar from a lumber yard, to finish a
project in which I'm working ok. The stock measures 3 inch of
thickness, 9 inch width, and about 2 meters long. I've two pieces of
this size.. and I need to get some 3x3x2meters "sticks"..

I love hand tools, and also I would like to be
self-sufficient, so I'm thinking in using a good hand saw (which I
would need to buy).

You might want to consider a bowsaw. Very thin blade, but it's held in
tension like a hacksaw or bucksaw so there is almost no danger of
damaging the blade if it gets pinched in the wood like can happen with a
japanese saw.

Tage Frid was partial to these.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00123.asp

Chris