Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

Default Sawing big wood by hand

"Joe Gorman" wrote in message
nautilus wrote:
Hi!

I have a very few years on wood working, doing this as hobby,

which I
really enjoy. I read the groups from time to time, and now

that I've
some doubts/thinkings, I would like to post it!

A few days ago I bought some cedar from a lumber yard, to

finish a
project in which I'm working ok. The stock measures 3 inch of
thickness, 9 inch width, and about 2 meters long. I've two

pieces of
this size.. and I need to get some 3x3x2meters "sticks"..

I've the chance to take this piece to a school near home,

that has a
big wood working workshop, and they let me use the scroll

saw, and
other machines.. but I love hand tools, and also I would like

to be
self-sufficient, so I'm thinking in using a good hand saw

(which I
would need to buy).

I've never dimensioned roguh stock using hand tools yet...

how long can
it take to make a single straing cut over the 2 meters long?

It's
something reasonable, or I'm going to end all sweat looking

at the sky
laying on my yard?

I'm asking about the estimated time you think it would take,

to have a
parameter for checking if everything goes well, if the saw is

well
sharpened, the technique is good, etc..

Thanks a lot!!!
Mariano

As in finishing, practice on scrap, or your sticks may become

scrap. Let
the saw do the work. If it won't cut easily and cleanly it may

not be
sharp enough.
http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/handsaws/handsaws.htm
I thought Jeff had a link on his page but I can't seem to find

it.
http://www.amgron.clara.net/
Joe

You might also want to consider getting yourself a Japanese Ryoba
saw for this work. It has cross-cut teeth on one side of the
blade, rip teeth on the other, and makes a very small kerf.

You can see a picture at:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...96&cat=1,42884

Personally, I prefer the traditional type handles.

The main benefit of these saws is they cut on the pull stroke,
keeping the blade under tension during the cut. This minimizes
binding, and makes it very easy to maintain a straight cut
compared to a typical push type rip saw. They also cut much
faster, even in relatively thick wood.

Since I put together my collection of Japanese hand saws, except
to wipe the dust off, I rarely touch my old push type rip and
crosscut saws.

Len