Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] dingbat@codesmiths.com is offline

Default Sawing big wood by hand

nautilus wrote:

I'm asking about the estimated time you think it would take,

It would take me under "an afternoon", and about a gallon of tea. I'd
use either my Disston rip saw (look for the ones with the thumb hole
handle) for ripping thin stock, or more likely my Japanese anahiki.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/bo...e/chestnut.htm

I'd really like a _big_ anahiki. Nice saw for ripping whole logs, I use
it a lot.

As it's cedar it might not take much time at all. OTOH there's a 6' log
of 2' diameter _hornbeam_ in the car at the moment, waiting to be split
and crosscut into bowl blanks. I'm not looking forward to that,
hornbeam is tough going.