Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Cheap Table saw question

In article . com, wrote:

After thinking about this a bit more, I wanted to explain why I didn't
go with the used option that seemed to be the consensus. Basically, I
know very little about what I'm getting into here right now. I would
not know the first thing to look for in a used table saw - any warning
signs of failure pending or of over use.

Then take someone with you who *does* know what to look for.

By buying new I at least have
a return policy if I get a lemon.

The point you're missing is that any table saw you can buy new for under a
hundred bucks is guaranteed to be a lemon.
[snip]

In respects to woodworking, I'm just starting to feel my way around and
don't expect to need that much capacity. With several years experience
under my belt and a much bigger garage I'll be ready for $800-$1500 saw
with a $80 blade and will know what to look for.

I don't think anybody has suggested that you should buy an $800 saw, let alone
one costing twice that. But you *should* expect to spend a third to half that,
or close to it, on a new saw if you want to get anything decent. Or one to two
hundred on a used one.

You also don't need to spend eighty bucks on a blade. However, you will *not*
get a good 10" blade for ten bucks, either, and it *does* matter. All other
things being equal, a good blade on a mediocre saw will produce better results
than a mediocre blade on a good saw -- although no blade is capable of
producing anything better than mediocre results on a poor saw (which is all
you'll get for a hundred bucks new).

Expect to spend forty dollars, or more, for a good blade.

In the meantime a
P.O.S. model 1 will suit my needs.

No, it won't. A POS will be frustrating (and possibly dangerous) to use, and
you won't get good results from it. If you can't afford decent equipment, it's
better to take up some other hobby. This may seem harsh, but it's reality.

That being said, if anyone would care to share some insight in what to
look for in used woodworking gear...

IMO, you should look for a saw that originally cost a few hundred bucks new
and is being sold by a hobby woodworker who has just upgraded to a larger,
better saw. Don't look at anything being sold by a professional woodworking
shop (unless at a bankruptcy auction): if a pro is getting rid of it, that
means it's worn out.

Specific things to look for:
- Craftsman brand. They're much maligned, and unjustly so IMHO. They're *not*
top-of-the-line professional-quality woodworking machines, sure, but they're
not intended to be, either. They *are* very good starter saws. A used
Craftsman 10" saw, if in good condition (see below) would be ideal. But don't
buy Craftsman blades -- those are much maligned, too, and *justly* so. Ditto
Black and Decker.
- With the saw unplugged, grasp the blade and try to wiggle it side-to-side
or up and down. If you feel any more than the slightest trace of play, look
elsewhere.
- With the saw still unplugged, spin the blade by hand. Does it spin smoothly,
without any grinding, scraping, or rumbling sounds? If it's rough, or makes
abnormal noise, look elsewhere.
- Plug the saw in and turn it on. Does the motor come up to speed rapidly and
quietly? If it makes labors, or makes abnormal noises, look elsewhere.
- Look at the table. If it's cast aluminum, look elsewhe that'll leave
marks on the wood that can be a PITA to remove. If it's cast iron, look for
rust. The table should be smooth and shiny. Anything more than a trace of rust
is a sign of a saw that hasn't been well cared for. Look elsewhere.
- Check the fit of the miter gauge bar in the miter slots. A sloppy fit does
*not* mean you avoid the saw, but it *does* mean you'll be spending more money
later (on a better miter gauge) when your skills improve.
- Lock the rip fence down, grasp the rear (far) end of it, and try to wiggle
it from side to side. You shouldn't feel much play here.

That's all I can come up with at the moment. I'm sure others will have more to
add, too, but at least that's a start.

--
Regards,