Posted to rec.woodworking
David Starr David Starr is offline

Default Cheap Table saw question

Rob Mills wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm a novice to woodworking looking for a passable starter table saw in

the $100 range and under.

Keep an eye on estate sales, every now and then a 10" craftsman will show up
in that price range. Be sure the fence, blade guard and miter gauge are
still with the saw. Hold out for a belt drive. RM~

PS, An estate sale is a sale when somebody else sells somebody else's stuff
and they don't have a clue as to what it's worth. I recently paid $20 for
a complete Dayton 6X48 belt/disc sander with stand and $30 for a new
(still in box) 16" variable speed Delta scroll saw at an estate sale.

Yesterday I attended a guy's stuff auction (vehicles and tools) in
upstate New Hampshire. I scored a router and two pad sanders for $40
total. My brother scored a milling machine for $25. Getting that into
the pickup was interesting. Couple of 10" Craftsman table saws went for
well under $100. A nice 10" Royobi table saw went for $25-$50. Lots of
Snap-On and Greelee stuff. Lots of pure junk too. Four nice fiberglass
boats in the 19 to 23 foot range went for $1200 each. An 01 Deville
didn't sell cause no one raised the reserve price of $4000. You might
look around for an auction place in your area.

David Starr