Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Simon is offline

Default Curious fishy smell in bathroom...

Hi,

One thing worth checking is (believe it or not) the light fitting. Old
ones can emit a horrid fishy smell when they get hot. We had that in a
house we moved into: it drove us nuts trying to work out what it was,
because it only seemed to be a problem at night. Of course, with
hindsight that was when the light was turned on. Duhh !!

Cheers, Simon

Martin wrote:
No, honestly, I'm not making this up...

My girlfriend lives in a townhouse, and the mid-level toilet (WC and hand
basin) has started to smell. It's difficult to locate, but it smells
slightly fishy - not the sort of smell I would expect from a leaking pipe,
etc. I've tried blocking off the extractor, plugged the sink and a plumber
has removed the toilet and capped the waste pipe - but the smell remains,
and we can't seem to get rid of it.

Any ideas on what might be causing this, please.......?

Thanks

Martin