Posted to alt.home.repair
HarryS HarryS is offline

Default Rid-X for Septic Systems?

You can get any answer you'd like on this subject. Some will tell you
they've used it for xxx years without having to pump the tank.

I've had two septic tank installers tell me that it does reduce the amount
of sludge that accumulates in the tank but at the risk of plugging your
drainfield. They claimed that in normal operation, septic effluent is taken
from approximately the center of the vertical height of the tank and goes to
the drainfield. In a properly operating system, the center section of the
tank will deliver the clearest water, which is what you want to go to the
drainfield. The top layer of the tank will have the floating sewage and the
bottom layer will be the denser sewage, along with the mineral matter that
came from the fully digested solids in the sewage. When you have a tank
pumped, what is being removed is primarily the mineral matter that has
accumulated from the digested sewage. The septic installer's explanation as
to why the Rid-X is not good for a septic system is that it causes solids in
the sewage to break into fine particles and that many of these fine
particles are suspended in the center layer and wind up going to the
drainfield. When they get to the drainfield, they create what they call a
'biomat' on the surfaces that are supposed to absorb the liquids into the
soil. Eventually, this can plug the drainfield.

This explanation sort of makes sense to me. I can't imagine how a 1000
gallon septic tank can hold 20 or 30 years of mineral matter accumulation
when you consider that the mineral matter should only be allowed to
accumulate in the bottom portion of the tank (to the bottom of the riser
that delivers effluent to the drainfield). If you let the mineral matter
(plus any solids in the sewage that is denser than water) build up to the
bottom of the riser, you'd either get sewage solids going to the drainfield
up through the riser or the riser would plug, which could allow floating
grease and sewage enter the drainfield line over the top of the riser.
Either situation would lead to plugging of the drainfield.

Harry

"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote in message
28.19...
Nice to use, essential, or unnecessary?

--
Wayne Boatwright