Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] dingbat@codesmiths.com is offline

Default Driveway Made Of Wood?

Jack wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

Used to be common in UK railway stations about 100 years ago. Milk was
delivered by rail (first train of the morning was always known as the
"milk train") and in metal churns. To keep noise down when unloading
these, the light freight platform and driveway at urban passenger
stations would be payed with end-grain wooden blocks to reduce the
noise. These were commonly made from recycled end-grain blocks, the
wedge-shaped blocks used to fill Maunsell-pattern railway carriage
wheels (these wheels had an iron core, a steel tyre and a wood block
filler between, supposedly to quieten noise).

I've also worked in heavy machine shops (car body panel press shops)
where the whole floor (several acres) was end-grain maple blocks. They
were an inch thick in grease (sheet lubricant from the presses) too,
which made even standing up difficult. I used to wear a suit, tie,
rubber gloves and hobnail boots!